Friday, September 7, 2007

Job?









So apparently, posting every other day didn't work. Oh well; but I will try to post fairly frequently. It didn't help that that past few days I was at my boyfriends house and don't always have time to post.







Well, a very good thing happened: I got an interview at the New York Botanical Garden!! I've worked there twice as an intern in the Herbarium, and I've wanted to return there. The position I've applied for is a Curatorial Assistant. If I get the job, I'll post more about it. The interview went really well, and I was basically told I was the only person they are considering. The person who would be my direct superior is the director of the Herbarium and I've worked for her before and she is really excited about me coming back. I'm so freaking happy.

Colocasia leaf with water droplets

My next big challenge, if I get this position, is to find a apartment/room in NYC. That is tricky enough, but it will be even less delightful given that my possible pay isn't too great. Oh well, I've always wanted to live in the city, and I look forward to my possible place.


Heuchera Dolce Peach Melba

After my interview I walked around the garden and took lots of pictures. If you've never been to the New York Botanical Garden, GO! It is so beautiful, even this late in the season.

One of my favorite places in the entire Garden is a small Beech (Fagus grandifolia) across from the Forest. It's just a simple clump of trees with a thick carpet of moss in between the roots. Beech has wonderfully smooth, silky bark, which unfortunately makes it a magnet for graffiti. And while the graffiti is disfiguring to the tree and allows for an entry of pathogens, they are interesting in their own right and show one element that makes up the complicated relationship between trees and people.



On a much sadder note, a very good friend of mine passed away from a brain aneurysm. His name is Paul Brongo. Paul, like me, loved plants and nature. He was working for the USGS in Alaska. Paul and I talked about all sorts of things from work to school to life in general. He was a great friend and a truly beautiful and kind person. I love him and will miss him

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.